Practical English Episode A-8 飽きる、うんざりする

もううんざり!



うんざり!もう嫌!飽きちゃった!と言いたいとき、どんな表現ができるでしょうか?

(1) be sick and tired of/get sick and tired of うんざりする、嫌になる

I’m sick of crowded trains.

I got sick of these cup noodles.

People are getting sick of staying home.


A: Hey, Mr. Fowler wants you in his office.
B: Oh, got. Again.
A: What's wrong?
B: He's been giving me lectures almost everyday 
    and I'm getting sick and tired of them. 
    He just keeps on saying the same thing. Why me?
A: You know what? It's because he sees something in you.
B: Are you sure?
A: Yeah, trust me. He wouldn't talk to you if he doesn't like you.


(2) be/get fed up with うんざりする、飽き飽きする

I am fed up with her story.

Are you fed up with your work?

He is getting fed up with the delay.


A: Did you hear about Jack's new girl friend?

B: Yeah I did...I mean I am already fed up with that story. 

    Everyone has been talking about it all the time. What's the deal?

A: Don't you know that the girl appears on some fashion magazines?

B: What? Is she a model?

A: Yeah, I'm sure you've seen her somewhere like in trains.


(3) have enough/too much もう十分~した

I've watched enough of this series.

I've had enough steaks. I can't eat it any more.

He has had too much wine over years and now he is into Japanese Sake.


A: Do you want some donut? 

    I bought a dozen from your favorite shop on the corner today.

B: Uh...I'm all right.

A: What do you mean by "I'm all right"? 

    You love their donuts so I bought some special flavors for you this time.

B: I mean I've kind of had enough of it, you know.

    I've been eating like five donuts a day lately.

A: Oh, that many? I didn't know that.

B: Well, never mind. I'll eat them later. 

A: No...you don't have to.

B: I'll eat them. That was very thoughtful of you. Thank you.


(4) get bored of つまらなくなる

I'm getting bored of her lessons.

We got bored of this game. Have you got something else?

I've got bored of chocolate flavor so I'm gonna have a go with caramel today.


A: What's wrong with you?
B: I'm getting bored of wearing this uniform everyday.
A: Too bad.
B: Can I wear something else?
A: I don't think so. It's the school rule.

(1)のsick and tired of と(2)fed up withは、嫌だというネガティブな気持ちが強く感じられる表現です。それに対して(3)のenoughや(4)bored of は飽きてうんざりはしているけれど(1)や(2)に比べたら弱めの表現です。

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

Practical English メニュー

動画レッスン:The push for made-in-America chips

Reading material: 02 More parking fee for larger cars?